3001 Signal Hill Drive SW, Calgary, AB
Battalion Park’s well-known landmarks are the familiar jumble of numbers made of white-washed stones that can easily be seen on Signal Hill from many parts of the city.
|Getting There |||Take Bus #301 or #2 from downtown, transfer to #53 to Signal Hill|
|Cross Street |||West of Sarcee Trail|
|Park is open from 5AM to 11PM, unless otherwise posted.|
Profile Last Updated: January 28, 2009
The numbers prominently displayed on the side of Signal Hill are a mystery to many, but their actual purpose if to commemorate the four battalions that trained in the area before being deployed for active duty during the First World War. This southwest park in the Signal Hill community was used as a military reserve by Canadian military from WW1 up to the 1990s.
16,000 stones were hauled up the hill by soldiers from the Bow River during their off time to form the numbers 113, 137, 151 and 51, the four battalions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force that trained in the area during the First World War. Over the years after the wars the numbers had become obscured by weeds and grass until a local historian took the pains to find them before they were destroyed by construction. Cadet groups in the area restored the project, and Battalion Park officially re-opened on November 3, 1991. Originally, way back in 1915, this park was known as Camp Sarcee, as it overlooks the Sarcee Nation.
This Park has a number of interpretive displays, paved and dirt paths and a scenic lookout.
Dogs: Dogs allowed, on leash.
Take Note: Please stay on the pathways.