|Store Type |||Community Services, Religion/Culture|
|Getting There |||Located in the community of South Calgary|
|Cross Street |||Between 17 and 18 Streets SW|
Profile Last Updated: November 06, 2008
In June of 2006, the two parishes of St. Mark’s and St. Phillip’s voted to join together to form a single parish. Both church buildings dated back to the 50s but St. Mark’s was chosen as the site for the partnership because of its convenient location, expanded facilities and better condition.
History Comes Together
St. Mark’s was the first wooden church built in Calgary in 1912.The 50s were great years at St. Mark’s, with 500 families on the parish rolls, a Sunday school of 300 with 40 teachers, and 200 involved in youth programs. St. Philip’s was a mission to the Elboya area, started in the 50s. Both parishes have averaged about 50 to 60 in attendance for two Sunday services in recent years. Car pooling has become an important aspect of to ensure members of both parishes can get to church.
Ways to Participate
The 9:30 am praise team is always looking for new voices and instruments. Just contact the church if you would like to take part. Kid’s Club or Sunday School is a friendly place where each child is treated with respect and dignity. Sunday school is offered at both the 9:30 am and 11:00 am services. The church also serves regular needs with weddings, baptisms and funeral services. There are also education and outreach programs.