|Store Type |||Community Services, Educational Services, Books|
|Cross Street |||Macleod Trail and 6 Avenue SE|
|Mon-Thurs: 10AM-9PM Fri-Sat: 10AM-5PM Sun: 1:30PM-5PM|
Profile Last Updated: March 19, 2008
Calgary Public Library’s central branch opened in 1963, and was renamed in 1974 after W.R. Castell, who was the library director from the mid-1940s through the early-1970s. His vision and values continue to be upheld by the library system, with branches across the city, all dedicated to enriching lives and building community through universal access to resources in every medium.
W.R. Castell Central Library houses tens of thousands of books for circulation, along with reference materials, and public computers for any type of online research or communication. The building also incorporates the 400-seat John Dutton Theatre, named for another library director, which is available for public rentals from morning until midnight. There are also two smaller meeting rooms.
The history of the Calgary Public Library dates back to 1908, with its first branch opened four years later, thanks to the generosity of American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The growth of the city has led to an expansion of the library system, which has an overall collection of nearly 2.5 million books, CDs, DVDs and more, welcoming three-quarters of Calgary’s population on a regular basis.
Wheelchair Access:: Special Needs Services, 5th floor, 260-2702